Matcha green tea has several benefits for your body. In fact, it has a very high antioxidant content that would put other stuff to shame. Did you know that matcha has more than six times as many antioxidants as goji berries, seven times more than dark chocolate, and around 61 times as many antioxidants as spinach. So Popeye has been chowing down the wrong green stuff for the longest time! If he could punch Bluto silly with spinach, Popeye could have sent him into orbit with matcha green tea!
The tea leaves used to make matcha green tea are grown in the shade, which gives it a lot of chlorophyll. The leaves are then picked, steamed, dried and then ground into a fine powder. You ten ingest the leaves rather than steeping it in teabags.
But other than this, matcha green tea has the following benefits:
1. Matcha green tea prevents cancer. One of the antioxidants found in matcha green tea is catechins, which zaps up the free radicals found in your body. It has anti-carcinogenic properties, which means that it can help you prevent cancer.
2. Matcha green tea helps you turn back time. Matcha green tea has long been credited as one of the reasons why Okinawans live longer than the average person. It helps you combat ageing, oxidation and infections.
3. Matcha green tea also helps increase the body’s termogenesis, or its rate of burning calories. It also helps to oxidise fat. A study showed that exercising right after drinking matcha increased the body’s fat burning capabilities by 25%
4. Matcha green tea lowers bad cholesterol. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published a study in 2011 that showed that drinking matcha green tea lowered the levels of LDL cholesterol and serum total cholesterol in the body.
5. Matcha green tea helps you beat stress. It has more L-theanine than ordinary green tea. L-theanine is an amino acid that helps you create alpha waves in your brain. Alpha waves get rid of stress, help you relax and lower your blood pressure. You can also concentrate better and think clearly after a cup of matcha green tea.
6. Matcha green tea can replace coffee. Because of its caffeine content, you can drink matcha green tea if you are feeling sleepy or sluggish. It gives you extra energy without the side effects of suffering from a coffee crash.
7. Matcha green tea detoxifies your body. With all the chlorophyll found in matcha green tea, a lot of people believe that it is able to flush out toxins in your body. Matcha also helps cleanse your body of heavy metals, dioxins, hormone disrupters and other poisons.
8. Matcha green tea has a high level of fiber. The fiber in matcha green tea is easily absorbed by the body, helping you get relief from constipation and keeps your blood sugar levels in check.
So what are you waiting for? Get your matcha green tea fix now and enjoy the many benefits that it could give you.